Sunday, March 17, 2013

Blog Post 5

This past week has been eye-opening!

Everything I have been learning and experiencing during student teaching are the key components I need to be a quality teacher for my students. All of the research that we do, the lesson plans we type, the fun ways we think of engaging our students, the innovative techniques and strategies we try to implement, and all of the effort we put into each and every day is all for our students. The students, their education, and experience should always be our main priority and focus. When I think of what lesson I want to teach I think of the kids and ask myself many questions. Would they enjoy this, what would be a fun way to introduce certain material to them, how will I motivate them, guide, and inspire them? How will I teach them life lessons and right from wrong? As an art teacher, I only have students in the classroom for 40 minutes at a time, which is a very short period of time but my hope is that I will make a long lasting impact on their lives. There are so many takeaways but I feel that as teachers we need to continue learning and growing as educators not only for our benefit but for the benefit of our students.
 
I feel that as teachers we should use the learning process (formative assessment) as the greatest form of assessing student learning along with any summative assessments. It is important to correct for student mastery during this time because it would help them be better prepared for any future summative tests. A final test should not determine whether a student has achieved student mastery or not. Teachers should begin assessing student learning as soon as the content is being introduced to them. Any assignment that is completed, question that is asked, or any question that is answered should be used as an opportunity for remediation and correction and is a clear example of student learning.

I feel that students should also be graded on their efforts during class and progress throughout. I do not understand why grades have to be determined by numbers. (Percentages) Students should be provided with other opportunities in order for them to succeed; to experience academic success. When students know that their whole grade will consist of tests, many of them shut down and already feel defeated. Students should not feel defeated on the first day. They need to understand they are capable of achieving success and that their success will not only be measured by numbers.

I will begin the video portion of the TPA project this upcoming week. I am a bit nervous about it all but I am sure it will go very well. My CT has known about my project since my first week and she has been doing a great job at helping me along the way with resources and ideas. I will be meeting the 7th graders who will be a part of my project. I will be informing them about the video portion of it and how the project will include them.

At this time there is not anything I need help with or feedback on but I would like to thank my supervisor for her positive feedback she always provides me with during her visits, especially during her recent visit. She told me that quite a few of my students will remember my lesson on color mixing because of how I presented it. Also that some students will probably be excited to tell their parents about it when they got home. That is amazing to me! It was so great to hear her say that! Thank you Mrs. Reiselt! I always appreciate your written and verbal feedback.

 

1 comment:

  1. It is fabulous that you see all the puzzle pieces coming together!

    Seeing you at your second placement this past week was so wonderful. It is a totally different feel and you are fitting in well. Your CT has a warm personality and is committed to art education and helping you grow.

    Your lesson this week was so exciting that I had to remind myself to write my evaluation and stop watching the magic water;)! It was captivating and I'm certain they will remember secondary colors.

    Can't wait to hear how it goes with the 7th graders and the excitement of the video taping and tpa project. Keep taking pictures for your idea box!!

    I love how open you are about assessments, especially as an art teacher.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete